When we see the vegetable price has fallen down, we think about different options to cook them and store. Bought some fresh ripped red tomatoes few days back and immediately prepared this thokku/pickle.
Though few ingredients are mandatory for pickle, few ingredients are purely optional and it varies depends on one’s choice. This particular recipe I learnt from my friend’s mom years back. It tastes awesome and goes well with dosa, idli, roti and even with hot rice. Though the pickle preparation is quite time taking process, it is worth trying. Let’s see the recipe.
Thakkaali Thokku (Tomato Pickle)
- Recipe Cuisine: South India
- Recipe Category: Pickle
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 1 hr
- Yields : 3 to 4 cups
|Sesame oil||400 ml|
|Mustard seeds||2 tsp|
|Urad dal||2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds||2 tsp|
|Fenugreek powder *1||2 tsp|
|Cinnamon cloves powder *2||2 tsp|
|Dry red chillies||3|
|Curry leaves||3 sprig|
|Tomatoes ripped||2 kgs|
|Red chilli powder||3 to 4 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
*1 Dry roast fenugreek seeds and grinds it to a fine powder.
*2 Coarse grind cinnamon and cloves together.
1. Wash the tomatoes and pat try them. Discard the center stem and chop them as shown in the pic, not very fine and not very big too.
2. Keep the chopped tomatoes aside and heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and urad dal one by one.
3. Once the mustard seeds crackles, reduce the flame and add in fenugreek powder, cinnamon cloves powder, asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Add in ginger garlic paste and stir well in medium flame.
5. Once the raw smell goes, add in the chopped tomatoes.
6. Followed by red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix them well.
7. Cover and cook for 20 mins. Stir in between.
8. Once the tomatoes are cooked well and the water starts reducing add in jaggery and mix well.
9. Cover and cook till they are nicely done by stirring in between. Switch off the flame once the oil started separating from the sides of the pan and floats on the top.
Enjoy it with hot idlies and dosas 🙂
* Fully ripped tomatoes are best for making pickles.
* Discarding the centre stem is optional.
* You can add finely chopped garlic along with ginger garlic paste.
* If you need more tanginess you can add little tamarind extract.