After moving to home country a month of break was much needed to relax myself and to meet people as well. Here, I`m back with a simple yet healthy sundakkai thuvayal/turkey berry chutney recipe. This chutney goes well with hot steamed rice and also can be paired up with rasam rice and curd rice as side dish.
The berries are slightly bitter in taste, but are rich in iron and helps in digestion. You can sauté it nicely to reduce the bitter taste but it is very much fine if there are some bitterness left, since it is completely healthy. And here is the full recipe for the chutney.
சுண்டைக்காய் துவையல் – Turkey berry chutney
- Recipe Cuisine: Tamilnadu
- Recipe Category: Rice accompaniment
- Preparation Time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Serves: 4
|Turkey berries (Sundakkai)||1 cup|
|Sesame oil or Groundnut oil||1 tbsp|
|Channa dal||1 tsp|
|Coriander seeds||½ tsp|
|Cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|Pepper corns||¼ tsp|
|Dry red chilli||3 to 5|
|Curry leaves||2 sprigs|
|Shallots (small onions)||½ cup|
|Garlic||4 to 5 cloves|
|Tamarind||½ amla size|
|Water||2 tbsp or as needed|
1. Heat oil in a pan and roast channa dal for 2 mins followed by coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corns and dry red chilli.
2. Once it is roasted to golden brown colour, remove it to a plate and let it cool down. Meanwhile sauté the shallots and garlic in the same pan.
3. Once they are sautéed well, add in tamarind and curry leaves and give it a mix.
4. Add in washed berries with required salt and sauté it till they are nicely done.
5. Finally add coconut and switch off the flame and let it cool down. Meanwhile grind the dal and spices to a coarse powder.
6. Add in the sautéed berry mix and grind everything together to a coarse mixture with very little water.
Serve it with hot rice topped with sesame oil or ghee 🙂
* Roast channa dal and then add other spices since it will take little longer time than the other ingredients.
* The berries are already sticky in texture and adding urad dal will make it sticky further. So, no need to add urad dal or this chutney.
* Sautéing the berries nicely will reduce the bitterness.