Sambar masala powder/Sambar podi is an aromatic South Indian spice powder prepared by dry roasting and grinding various Indian spices and few lentils. Sambar powder is mainly used for making sambar and also used in few South Indian curries. Mostly I will get sambar powder from my grand mom or my MIL. I like both their version. Recently I tried making sambar powder at home which is a mix of both, altered few ingredients to suit our taste buds. It was too good and got good feedback from family and friends. You can try this and I`m sure you will feel the authentic touch in your sambar. Here is the recipe for flavorful sambar powder.
Sambar Podi –Sambar masala powder
- Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Recipe Category: Spice powder
- Preparation Time:1 or 2 days
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Processing Time : 15 mins
- Yields: Approximately 3 to 4 kgs
|Coriander seeds||1 kg|
|Dry red chilli||1 kg|
|Cumin seeds||250 gms|
|Pepper corns||250 gms|
|Fenugreek seeds||100 gms|
|Split Channa dal||200 gms|
|Toor dal||200 gms|
|Mustard seeds||100 gms|
|Curry leaves||1 cup|
1. Sun dry all the ingredients separately in a wide plate for a day or two.
2. Dry roast them one by one till a nice aroma comes.
3. Cool down and grind everything together in a mill or in a mixer to fine
powder. Sieve if required.
4. Immediately after grinding, spread in a wide cloth or plate for a while.
5. Store it in an air tight container and use.
Make a flavorful and tasty sambar with this sambar powder and enjoy it with hot rice or idli or pongal 🙂
* Try to keep it under hot sun at least for a day.
* Dry roasting the ingredients is optional. But it gives a bright colour and nice flavour and also it increases the shelf life.
* If you are grinding in mixer, you may need to sieve it to get a fine powder.
* Spreading the powder after grinding is to reduce the heat produced during grinding and helps to avoid the lump formation after storing.
* Do not touch the powder with wet hands. It will reduce the shelf life of the powder.
* Store bulk in a large container and store less in a small container for regular use. You can refill it once in a while when required.
* It is good to store in a glass jar or stainless steel rather than storing it a plastic container.