Channa pulao/Channa rice is an easy one pot meal and perfect for lunch box. It is very flavourful and healthy, which is rich in protein and fibre. It can be paired with veg kurma or simple onion raita. Here is the recipe for channa pulao.
Channa Pulao (Kondakadalai Saadham)
- Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Recipe Category: Lunch
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 2 – 3
|Channa(Brown or White)||½ cup|
|Basmati rice||1 cup|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Fennel seeds||½ tsp|
|Onion||2 medium sliced|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Green chilli||2 broken|
|Tomato||1 big chopped|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp heaped|
|Red chilli powder||¼ tsp|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Mint leaves||¼ cup chopped|
|Coriander leaves||¼ cup chopped|
|Water||1 ½ cup|
|Lemon juice||from ½ lemon|
1. Wash and soak channa overnight or 8 hrs with enough water and keep it aside. Soak rice for half an hour with enough water.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat oil and season with cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon, clove and fennel seeds. Then add in onion, ginger garlic paste and green chilli. Sauté them well.
3. Add in tomato and all the spice powders, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook till tomatoes turn mushy and oozes out the oil.
4. Then add in soaked channa, soaked rice, mint leaves, coriander leaves, curd and ghee. Give it a mix.
5. Add water, check for salt and spice level and adjust if required. Close it with the lid and cook it for 2 whistles in medium to high flame. Open it once the pressure goes and serve.
Serve hot with chill raita 🙂
* This can be prepared with parboiled rice or raw rice also. Water has to be adjusted based on the rice used.
*If you forgot to soak the channa, wash and soak it for 15 mins in hot water and cook it separately for around 5 to 7 whistles and continue with the same procedure.