Red Poha chat is an evening snack or it can be served as a breakfast also. It is a healthy dish which is rich in iron. Usually we eat poha with just milk and sugar or jaggery. This savoury version of poha, I heard from my Telugu friends. It’s a meal by itself or it can be accompanied with a simple raita or plain curd. People who want to reduce weight, they can include this in their diet menu. Here is the recipe for red poha chat.
Red Poha Chat (Sigappu Avul Chat)
- Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Recipe Category: Chat/Snack/Breakfast
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 2
|Red Poha ( Avul )||1 cup|
|Olive oil or vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
|Mustard seeds||¼ tsp|
|Cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|Urad dal||½ tsp|
|Red chilli||2 broken|
|Green chilli||2 slit|
|Ginger||1 inch finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 small finely chopped|
|Onion||1 medium finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 small finely chopped|
|Green peas||½ cup|
|Mint leaves||¼ cup|
|Coriander leaves||¼ cup|
|Garam masala||½ tsp|
|Red chilli powder||¼ tsp|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Lemon juice ( optional )||From ½ lemon|
1. Wash once and soak the red poha in enough water for 10 mins. Discard the water and mix with little turmeric and salt. Rest it for 10 more mins.
2. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan and season with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, red chilli, green chilli, ginger and garlic. Add onion, carrot, green peas, mint leaves, coriander leaves and salt one by one and cook covered for 5 to 7 mins.
3. Once it is done add garam masala powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and give it a mix. Once the raw smell of the masalas goes, add in the red poha mix and mix well. Let it be in low flame for around 2 to 3 mins then switch off the flame and top it with lemon juice.
Serve hot with boondi raita or you can have it as such.
* You can prepare it with your own choice of vegetables and cook accordingly.
*Not like the regular white poha, this red poha has to be soaked for some time otherwise it will not be soft even after cooking.
*You can prepare the poha chat with white poha also but no need it to soak. Just rinse once and follow the same procedure.