Drumstick leaves is one of the best gifts from nature to mankind with lots of health benefits. It is highly rich in calcium and vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in Iron absorption from the food we intake. Drumstick leaves doesn’t require much time to get cooked. Nutritive value may get reduced if we over cook it. There are many ways of cooking this drumstick leaves. Nutritive value will be retained if we eat it in the form of poriyal. Here is the recipe for healthy Murungai Keerai poriyal.
Murungai Keerai Poriyal (Sautéed Drumstick Leaves)
- Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Recipe Category: Accompaniment
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 2
|Drumstick leaves||2 cups tightly packed|
|Shallots (small onion) or onion||10 shallots sliced or 1 medium sized onion chopped|
|Garlic||5 pods chopped|
|Green chilli||2 halved|
|Red chilli||2 broken|
|Mustard seeds||¼ tsp|
|Yellow moong dal||2 tbsp|
|Asafoetida (Hing powder)||1 pinch|
|Coconut||2 tbsp shredded|
1. Heat oil in a pan and season it with mustard seeds, moong dal, asafoetida and red chilli. Then add green chilli, garlic and shallots or onion. Sauté it till the shallots becomes soft.
2. Add in the cleaned and washed drumstick leaves and cook it in medium flame for 5 to 7 mins. By the time it gets shrinks and gets cooked. Add required salt and mix it well.
3. Switch off the flame and add shredded coconut. Mix well and serve hot.
Serve hot with steamed rice 🙂
* No need to add water and no need to cook covered.
* Shallots gives good taste. You can replace it with onion if shallots not available.
* You can prepare it with coconut oil for extra flavour.