Bitter gourd may not be everyone’s favourite but it has lots of health benefits. It helps in easy digestion, builds your immunity, reduces bad cholesterol, improves blood circulation, fights against infections, eliminates the harmful free radicals and strengthens the hair and what not.
During my school days my father plucks fresh bitter gourd from our farm while coming back home after watering the plants in the early morning and eat it raw in front me and my sister to encourage us to eat the bitter gourd. We never saw any reaction on his face that he is eating a bitter gourd. He just eats it like a fruit. Slowly we also started eating it (but only cooked one) and started liking it as well.
One way of making kids to eat bitter gourd is by adding it in raita. Most of the kids like to have curd. They will definitely like to have crunchy chips in between, while eating the curd. For a healthier version you can sauté the bitter gourd instead of deep frying it.
Bitter Gourd Raita (Pakarkai Pachadi/Karela Pachadi)
- Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Recipe Category: Accompaniment
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Serves: 4
|Bitter gourd||2 small|
|Oil||For deep frying|
|Coconut||2 tbsp grated|
|Ginger||1 inch chopped|
|Green chilli||2 small|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Mustard seeds(optional)||½ tsp|
|Coconut oil||2 tsp|
|Mustard seeds||¼ tsp|
|Red chilli||2 broken|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Asafoetida(Hing powder)||A pinch|
1. Grind the ingredients listed under ‘For grinding’ to semi coarse paste and mix it with thick beaten curd.
2. Thinly slice the bitter gourd and deep fry it in oil till it becomes crisp and golden brown.
3. Drain the excess oil in kitchen tissue and add it to the curd. Finally season it with the ingredients listed under ‘For seasoning’ and mix it well with curd mixture.
Serve it with steamed rice or you can eat it as such.
* After slicing the bitter gourd, keep it under fan for 10 mins or pat dry it so that it will not drink more oil while frying it.
*You can shallow fry it instead of deep frying for a healthier version.