Bottle gourd groundnut curry is a simple South Indian dish made with powdered groundnut which gives a different flavour and taste from the usual curries. It goes well with hot steamed rice.
Bottle gourd groundnut curry – Surakkai verkadalai kootu
- Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Recipe Category: Accompaniment
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
|Bottle gourd||1 medium peeled and chopped|
|Mustard seeds||½ tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Coconut||2 tbsp grated|
To roast and grind:
|Coriander seeds||1 tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||½ tbsp|
1. Dry roast the groundnut in a pan and keep it aside. In the same pan roast the red chillies, cumin seeds, pepper and coriander seeds, and grind it along with groundnut and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and season with oil, mustard and curry leaves. Add chopped bottle gourd, turmeric powder and salt. Cook covered for 10 mins in medium flame.
3. Once the bottle gourd is cooked well, add the grounded powder and mix well and leave it for 2 mins. Add grated coconut and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
- You can make this curry/kootu without coconut also.
- Tempering is optional for this dish. You can directly cook the vegetable and add the groundnut mixture.