On a lazy day just this Potato Brinjal Stir fry and rasam with rice is more than enough for lunch I would say. You can also mix it with rice and have. It’s a great accompaniment for Dal rice (Paruppu Saadham) and curd rice too. Here is the recipe.
Potato Brinjal Stir Fry (Kathirikaai Urulaikizhangu Poriyal)
- Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Recipe Category: Accompaniment
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Serves: 2
|Potato||3 medium, bite size chopped|
|Brinjal||4 medium, copped same as potato|
|Urad dal||½ tsp|
|Cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|Fennel seeds||½ tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Garlic||4 small crushed|
|Green chilli(optional)||1 broken|
|Red chilli(optional)||2 broken|
|Sambar powder||¾ tbsp|
|Coconut||2 tbsp grated|
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, once splutter add urad dal, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, red chilli, green chilli, crushed garlic and curry leaves one by one. Add in the potato and salt. Give it a mix and cook covered for 5 to 7 mins in medium flame.
2. Once the potatoes are 3/4th done, add brinjal and sambar powder. Mix well and cook till the brinjal is done.
3. Open the lid and add grated coconut. Switch off the flame. Give it a mix and serve.
Enjoy with Rasam rice.
- Make sure you add the brinjal once the potatoes are nearly done.
- Don’t let the brinjal get overcooked otherwise it will become soggy.