South Indian style Tomato rice or Thakkaali Saadham is a one pot meal that tastes delicious and is a simple dish to prepare. This recipe I learnt it from my cousin who makes it in a jiffy. Me and my sister are a great fan of her tomato rice which she serves us with a potato stir fry. Thanks a lot Brundha 🙂 .
Tomato Rice – Thakkaali Saadham
- Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Recipe Category: Rice varieties/Pulao
- Preparation Time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 2
|Rice||1 cup (soaked for 30 mins)|
|Tomato ripped||3 medium chopped|
|Onion||2 medium chopped|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Green chilli||1 slit|
|Cinnamon(Pattai)||2 small piece broken|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Red chilli powder||½ tsp|
|Mint leaves||1/2 cup loosely packed|
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, season it with cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté it till the raw smell goes then add the onion and cook till onion becomes translucent.
2. Add required salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and cook till the raw smell of the masala goes.
3. Add in the tomato and cook till it become mushy and oil separates. Then add chopped coriander and mint leaves and mix well.
4. Add the soaked rice and give it a stir and add water. Close the lid and leave it for 2 whistles in high flame and 2 whistles in medium flame.
5. Once the pressure releases, open the lid and top it with little ghee and mix the rice gently and serve hot.
Serve hot with Onion raita.
- You can puree the tomato and add instead of adding chopped tomato.
- If the tomatoes are not ripped enough , add 1 tbsp of curd for giving the tanginess.
- Coriander leaves is optional.
- Mint leaves enhance the flavour so make sure you add in the mentioned quantity.
- Adding raw rice gives a good taste to this dish.
- Soaking the rice helps in proper cooking so make sure you soak it for enough time.