Potato masala is one easy side dish for poori. Poori masala or Poori kizhangu is a great breakfast combo. There are many variations. This is one version of potato masala and goes well with roti also. With the same masala you can make Masala dosa as I do.
POORI MASALA (Potato masala for Poori)
- Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Recipe Category: Side dish
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
|Mustard seeds||¼ tsp|
|Urad dal||½ tsp|
|Channa dal/Bengal ram||1 tsp|
|Fennel seeds||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Onion||2 big sliced|
|Ginger||½ inch finely chopped|
|Green chilli||3 medium finely chopped|
|Green peas||¼ cup|
|Carrot||1 medium finely chopped|
|Potato||5 medium boiled and peeled|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and fennel seeds followed by chopped ginger, green chilli, curry leaves and sliced onion and cook till onion becomes soft.
2. Add carrot, green peas, turmeric powder and salt. Cook it for 5 to 7 mins and add boiled, peeled and smashed potatoes.
3. Sprinkle some water and cook covered for 10 mins in medium flame. Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Serve hot with Poori or Roti
- You can make it without carrot and green peas.
- You can also add crushed ginger and garlic instead of chopped ginger.
- More the onion more the taste, so don’t reduce the onion quantity.
- You can add tomato for a tangy flavour.
- If you want you can add a cup of water and make it like a kurma.
- You can mix 1 tbsp gram flour/besan flour with ¼ cup water and add it in the last to bring it to a thick gravy consistency