Hello everyone. This is my first food blog post and I wanted to start with a sweet and healthy dish, hence this millets laddu / sirudhaniya urundai. This is a simple and easy dish to prepare yet a tasty one and very healthy too. You can actually make it with available whole millets at home by dry roasting and grinding them. Initially I was doing it that way. But this is a simpler version with homemade health drink mix powder (saththu maavu). Usually we make porridge (kanji) with this mix but I felt it was heavy taking it along with breakfast but somehow I wanted to include millets in everyday meal and I felt this could be a right choice. One or two laddu per day can satisfy my need. You can refer the health drink mix post here.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian Recipe Category: Sweet
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking time: 15 Makes: 20
|Health mix powder/Saththu maavu (Millets powder)||2 cups|
|Dry fruits and nuts||½ cup|
|Cardamom powder||½ tsp|
1. In a pan add little ghee or dry roast the millet mix powder till you get a nice aroma. Add cardamom powder along with this and roast it for a while. Switch off the flame and transfer it to a bowl and let it come to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile grate the jaggery, mix little water just to immerse the jaggery and make jaggery syrup. Let it not be very thin. Bring it to honey like consistency.
3. Filter it to the millets powder and give a mix. Add chopped and ghee roasted dry fruits and mix well. And reserve the warm ghee to add it slowly while making laddoos.
4. Start making desired size laddoos by adding ghee little by little.
Store it in an airtight container.
- You can make your own choices of dry fruits and nuts or you can make without any dry fruits and nuts also.
- Don’t add the full ghee at a time then you may end up adding more ghee for making the laddoos.
- Add ghee little by little so that the mix will not get dried while making the laddoos.
- You can store it outside for a minimum of 10 days.
- You can replace jaggery with palm sugar or palm jaggery.
- You can also add sugar candy along with dry fruits.
- If you feel the mix is very dry and you don’t want to add more ghee, you can add some honey as a saviour.